Thursday, May 17, 2007

Our Sneakers

After yesterday's post, I wanted to write a little more about the sneakers we bought on Monday.

The sneakers were created by Stephon Marbury (Starbury), a basketball player for the New York Knicks. Stephon grew up poor, in a housing project in New York City. He was one of seven children and wanted the $100-200 Air Jordans as a kid but he could never afford them. $200 was their grocery budget.

When Stephon Marbury got signed on with the Knicks and started making 17 million dollars a year, he decided to do something about the price of sneakers. That's when he started his own line of shoes (and clothing) and he now sells them for $14.98 a pair. You know that they aren't junk because he even wears them himself on the court.

He seems like such a good guy. He really cares about inner city & poor kids. He is constantly giving back to the community.

I will buy more sneakers just to support him. He has such a great vision and I hope more professional sports stars take after him.

5 comments:

speakingfreely said...

I love reading your bargain deals. I feel like I am storing up information for when I am a mom! (Actually, I'll probably buy a pair of those sneakers at the first opportunity...)
I thought of you this morning when I heard a radio interview about this website:
http://www.kidslovetravel.com/
You might find these books interesting!

Krazy Klingers said...

I LOVE those sneakers. I really want the pink ones. I wish you could buy them online, but I guess I'll have to wait until I go Maryland again and stop in Baltimore to buy a pair. Thanks!!!

Melissa said...

Oh my word!
Is it starting to actually be cool, with celebrity endorsements and all, to buy things that are AFFORDABLE??!!

Someone pinch me, I must be dreaming.....

Anonymous said...

I love that story - I heard about him a few years back and was so impressed with his drive and his passion. Thanks for highlighting it. Now I really gotta get up there and shop. Number One son is HUGE into basketball, and what a great role model he could be for him. Thanks for sharing that. Hi to all there! Oh, and tell your DSH that I'm making one of his salad recipes for a baby shower I'm hostessing soon - made me think of him the other day when I was planning :)

Natalie said...

Thanks for this information. I've never heard of the shoes or guy, but I think it's a great idea. Bookmarking this post for later reference.