Thursday, April 30, 2009


Two nights ago was a horrible night for mom. I got a phone call at 2:30 AM from her asking for us to come and get her. Her story is this: "All I wanted was another blanket." "Those people keep squeezing my arm". Here is what really happened...She became restless and asked for bug spray. She was told that she didn't need any bug spray because there were no bugs in the room. The nurse came in to giver her the meds. Mom took the meds and threw them across the room. She wanted to sit in the chair, she wanted to sit in the bed. She wanted to walk the hall. Finally she fell asleep only to awaken a couple hours later. At his point, she became combative to the point of the nursing staff having to call security to help her calm down. When we got to the hospital later that morning, I could tell she was having a not so good day. She was extremely grumpy.

The reason why she said that the staff was squeezing her arm is because she has edema in her arm (no lie, her arm is as big as my thigh). Because of the edema, blisters formed and popped prematurely. Her arm is oozing and is raw and painful.

Yesterday, mom had to get a heart catheterization to check and see if everything was still intact from her initial triple heart bypass after having to do CPR. During the surgery, they doctors had to put in 2 stents to keep her veins open. After the procedure, she was taken to ICU where she had to lay without moving her legs for 4 hours. At 7:30 last night, the nurses asked me if I could spend the night in ICU with her due to her combative episodes. Needless to say, I am very tired. I only got at the most 1 1/2 hours of sleep. I left the hospital at 7 AM this morning, went to dad's house and slept for 2 more hours. When I woke up today, I spent the entire day cleaning and organizing their house. As I was growing up, I was a pack rat and was very messy. My parents are still that way. Thankfully I married Alan and now am very organized.

Tomorrow she is having a pacemaker and another device used to shock the heart when it stops put in. She is to remain in ICU until that procedure is finished.

No word yet on when she will get discharged. I am still fighting for her to go to a rehab before she comes home. I don't think my dad will be able to handle her by himself is she were to come right home.

Thanks guys for praying. I can tell I am being covered.


Livin' Life said...

Continuing to pray for you guys!!!

After His heart said...

May you find yourself under the shelter of the All Mighty! And may He provide rest and peace for you there. Papa, would you do the same for her mama too? Cover her with your blanket of peace and love!

Beautiful Grace said...

It would not be responsible for the hospital to send your mom home in this state, and it would not be responsible for your family to pressure them to do so. This is my nursing opinion. I know your mom is unhappy, but it would not be safe for her or your dad for her to come home in her current state!!!! BUT Jesus can do miracles, and His will, will be done in this matter, just like in any other matter here on earth. I proclaim, Heaven's will to be made complete in this situation. Heaven's will of complete healing, peace and unity be done in the name of Jesus!!!! AMEN!!!!!

Faith said...

Ohhhhhh Sara, how i feel for you . . . . . having to deal with these things is not easy, but God is gracious and wise and compassionate. Rehab is a wonderful thing - and sometimes honoring our parents means doing what is best for them not necessarily what they want. I pray grace on Sara, much, much grace and strength both spiritually and physically. Dance with her through out the day, Father, and give her water from your river - clean, pure, and refreshing. I pray your wisdom in every decision and that she rest in knowing her decisions come from your wisdom. May peace be her constant companion, and your love her security blanket.