Friday, June 8, 2007

A Visit to the ER

Wednesday night was pretty busy for us. At about 5 pm, the kids were playing outside when Bible Bat Boy came running to the door crying hysterically. I asked him what was wrong and he told me his foot hurt. I looked at his foot and thought it looked like it got pinched but then on further inspection I saw he had a splinter (not just any splinter, it was a small plank) in his foot. For about 10 minutes I tried to get it out (while dinner was over-cooking in the oven). I just couldn't get a hold of it. I prayed, I cried, and still it would not come out.

I researched the internet on how to remove a splinter. Most of the sites said to use scotch tape. I think they were talking about normal sized splinters, not plank sized. One site did say to soak the foot to soften the skin, so I gave that a try. It still didn't work.

My DSH came home from work at 5:30 and he tried to get it out too. We finally decided that a trip to the ER was the thing to do. Right away I had a feeling of dread. (Our history in the ER had not been good, it usually takes forever!) But then God spoke to me and told me it didn't have to be that way and He would be with us. Right before we left for the ER, I told my DSH I was expecting to get done soon and we would see him at church.

Let me tell you, my experience at the ER was amazing! We got there and a woman took out names. 5 minutes later, we were taken to our room. 5 minutes after that, the technician came in to take Joshua's vitals and a nurse came in to check his foot. Soon after that, the registration person came in with a computer to get all of our information. Soon after that, the doctor came in to operate. She told us that she didn't want to numb his foot because it would hurt more than taking the actual splinter out. They wrapped him in a blanket, mummy style with his head and feet sticking out and laid him on the table. I basically laid on top of him cuddling him and singing to him and telling him how much I loved him.

I was so proud of him...He started to shake and get scared but I just kept singing over him. He didn't cry at all! It took the doctor all of 20 seconds to get the plank out. After it was done I asked him why he didn't cry. He told me, "because the doctor asked me if I was going to be brave. Mommy I was brave." He was so good (well-behaved). I could tell at times he was scared but we just kept praying for Jesus to be with us.

We got to the ER at 6:20 and were done by 7:40. That in itself is a record for us!

I won't change my time in the ER for anything. I would change the circumstances of us being there, but I wouldn't change the fact that I got to spend some good quality time with Bible Bat Boy. I will cherish the conversations we had, the songs we sang, and the people we met.

For your enjoyment, here is the plank...

It doesn't look so big here, but it is the size of my thumb nail.


Promises Fulfilled said...

That is so awesome to hear how the Lord gave you and Bible Bat Boy such peace and favor in the ER!

Melissa said...

This story is just one of the reasons I love your family so much!

Krazy Klingers said...

Dear Bible Bat Boy... you are one of the most bravest boys I know. You are also one of the cutest. I am so glad you and mommy got to share a special time together, maybe next time you can do it without a splinter??? lol I LOVE your family and I am so glad I know you all.

Classic MaMa said...

I am so proud of you, Bible Bat Boy!! (I'm proud of you too, Mommy. You did a great job!)

Beautiful Grace said...

Bible Bat Boy, what a brave warrior you are!!! Love you!!