Thursday, June 4, 2009

Yet Another Update

Hi all, Sorry I haven't updated in a while. After getting home, I had to get school finished and now that School is over, I have lots more free time.

Here is the latest.

Mom was in the hospital for 3 weeks to the day. A few days before she was discharged, the doctors finally ordered a Nueropsycologist eval. I was very happy to hear that. I was asking for one for the whole time while I was there but the doctors were not listening to me because she was not listed as being incompetent. I still don't know the results of that because my dad never asked the doctors and they won't tell me.

She was discharged to a rehab facility. She got the the facility around 4:45 in the afternoon. Around 11 PM that same night, she was taken to the ER because her blood sugar had spiked to over 600. (That's diabetic coma range). They got her stabilized and sent her back to the facility. Somewhere along the line she missed a dose of her insulin which caused the spike. When she got back to the facility, around 6AM, she called my dad for him to come and pick her up. She checked herself out and went home. All I can say is STUBBORN!

She has been home ever since. The first day after being home, my dad took her to their family doctor who took her off most of her meds. I was really nervous about that because it took 3 weeks for her to be stabilized in the hospital with the medicine she has been on.

At times she can't remember her phone number. At other times she can't remember where her silverware goes. She doesn't remember me being there. She has not been sleeping too well. She sleeps more during the day than she does at night. She has been getting therapy at the house twice a week. This has been the last week for that.

I talked to her the other day and she seemed to be doing better. I can't get a straight answer out of my dad though. I call him to ask about her and he says, "OK, here she is, you can talk to her." You know how frustrating that is?

I just need to remember that I can't burden myself with their situation. I can't change it. They are not willing to move closer to be near family. There is not much more that I can do.

Thanks for all of your prayers. I really appreciated it. There has to be a reason why she pulled through. Time will tell.

No comments: